Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cat Man Is Coming!


75 years ago today the cat man came into the world. Eugene Vincent Craddock was born in Norfolk, Virginia. Only 36 years later he died, being one of the greatest and wildest cats in Rock'n'Roll, Gene Vincent.
As a young Teddyboy in the early 80s Gene Vincent was my number one singer and his recordings with the Blue Caps, esp. the 1956/1957 ones and esp. 'Race With The Devil' and 'Woman Love' were my favorites. I still remember my excitement when I saw 'The Girl Can't Help It' for the first time and they showed the band. The moment when they all dropped the caps from their heads at the same time while playing 'Be Bop A Lula'...legendary!
I am sure live it must have been an experinece like no other. Just listen to the live recording of 'Blue Jean Bop' on the 'The Lost Dallas Sessions' CD and have a look at the picture below, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps live in August 1957. So much energy. He surely was telling the truth when he sang: 

'Cat man is coming, you better look out!'


No comments:

Post a Comment