Saturday, June 5, 2010

Latch On - The Guana Batz

Not too long ago I managed to buy a few old Rock'n'Roll magazines from England. Having been an editor of zines myself in my younger years I still get excited when I can get my hands on real fanzines made simply because of the love for music and nothing else. These old-fashioned, from start to finish hand typed mags with simple layout and a lot of subjective opinion have a higher value to me then any full-color mag sold by the thousands, layout done by a graphic designer, with a free CD(of which 9 out of 10 songs are boring anyway). 


I got 3 issues of mid-80s UK fanzine Latch On, that covers by far not only contemporary Rockabilly of the 80s, but also a little bit of Psychobilly, Jazz, Blues(Howlin' Wilf for example) and Country(Dwight Yoakham is on the cover of one of the issues). I have no idea how long the mag was running and who the editor Malcom is(or what he's up to today) but I have the feeling some of my visitors here would really enjoy the interview he did with the Guana Batz while they were in the process of recording their second album 'Loan Sharks'. It's quite interesting(click on the picture to enlarge)!



 Copyright by Malcom and Latch on. Of course.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if this blog is still up and running but I just thought I'd let you know that I am still about and still lovin' Rockabilly, Blues and Country. I produced another fanzine after 'Latch On' and more recently had a music fanzine website(www.spfanzine.com). I was good mates with Pip and the Batz at the time and it was great to spend time with them at the recording studio back then. Thanks for mentioning my fanzine 'Latch On' on your blog 25 or so years on.
    Cheers!
    Malcolm.

    ReplyDelete