Thursday, November 26, 2009

Let's All Get Dixie Fried


In case you are not a native speaker, and probably if you are a native speaker but didn't grow up in the south of the U.S.A., you got no clue what the heck Carl Perkins is singing about on his 1956 Sun single. I was just as clueless as you but then something changed my way of listening to old Rock'n'Roll records. I found a book. That book didn't only explain the slang used in old Rock'n'Roll, Country and Blues songs, it also explained expressions used in Pulp novels and Noir and Exploitation films. Author of this essential piece is singer extraordinaire Max Décharné, frontman of the great, and I really mean it, Flaming Stars. The book is called 'Straight From The Fridge, Dad - A Dictionary Of Hipster Slang' and the 3rd edition has just been published http://www.straightfromthefridgedad.com/. I will get me a copy for sure, as I own only the first American paperback edition, and that one came without any pictures. To make you understand how great and essential this book is let me tell you, when I moved to Finland from Germany this was one of the few books I took with me, along with some Chandler, Kerouac, Bukowski novels and books on music.

No comments:

Post a Comment