Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mutant Leather Ted


It's normal to forget things the older you get. But there are some people, names, things and even little details that will stick with you forever. No matter how old you'll be, you will always remember them. I will always remember the 'mutated leather Ted'. I read that term more than 25 years ago in a review of the first Meteors live album where the author called Rick Ross that. And that's what I think of each time I think of Rick Ross. No, don't get me wrong. I'm not obsessed with him and spend my sleepless nights in bed thinking bout him. But just recently I found the 1983 Meteors line-up promo picture again(see above) and BANG, 'Mutated Leather Ted' popped up in my brain and I started wondering what happened to him after he left the band. Back in 1984 the news was that he was joining The Cult, but I never found out if that's true. At least there is no Rick Ross in the list of ex-members on their Wikipedia site. Information about him is rare on the Internet and in most cases wrong. It often says that he was the Meteors bass player in 1983 only but I saw the band with him on bass on their 2nd German tour in May 1984. It was on this tour that the band was filmed at their 'Rockpalast' gig, to be shown on German TV. Check this link ROCKPALAST . On the pictures there you'll see that it's Ross on bass, but the page states 'The Spectre' as bass player for the show. Also the other info on Rick Ross and the Meteors you come across on the Internet obviously is wrong, the one that says that he had joined the band for just one national(UK) tour. Sometimes it's incredible how much wrong information gets spread here. But the question remains, what did Ross do musically after he left the band? Does anyone know? If so, please share.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! You will be happy to know that Richard Rose aka Rick Ross is alive and well and living in Northfield, Birmingham, England! I Was contacted by his next door neighbor via The M3t3ors page I run on facebook. I Am currently in conversation with him and will post more details later probably on my facebook page (The M3t3ors photos the early days)

    ReplyDelete